Bacon Veggie Egg Bake
This past weekend I realized I was going to be out of town for the next four weekends. So time to get some meal prep done! After making my Naked Chicken Enchiladas and Chili (both very freezer friendly!) I needed a breakfast option that I could make ahead but would last well in the freezer. And here it is! A good source of protein and colorful veggies with some spices to give it some excitement. Cut it into serving sizes and freeze for an easy breakfast during your morning rush.
Ingredients (makes 8 servings):
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 2 bell peppers of different colors
- 8 ounces of white mushrooms
- 12 eggs
- 1 pound of bacon
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 bag shredded cheese (cheddar or Colby Jack will work best with the seasonings)
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dice onion and peppers. Saute in olive oil with mushrooms until soft – about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook bacon until desired crispness (for egg bakes I prefer very crispy bacon to give the dish a crunch).
- While bacon is cooking mix eggs, milk, and cheese in a large mixing bowl. Whisk thoroughly with a fork to break all yolks and continue whisking until uniform.
- Add in veggies, seasonings, and bacon. (I would recommend waiting until after you’ve tried your dish before adding salt. The bacon is going to carry plenty of salt and with the other seasonings it’s likely you won’t need anymore!)
- Pour mixture into a greased casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until eggs have set. You should be able to cut a knife through the whole mixture without liquid appearing.
Look at this beautiful tray of breakfast gold! (Perhaps a piece ended up being dinner that night as well.)
- Cut into 8 servings and either serve immediately or seal in a Tupperware and refrigerate for a few days or freeze for few weeks.
Enjoy! What else did you add to this egg bake?