Tex-Mex Quinoa Salad
So here in Minnesota it’s still winter…and cold..and gloomy..So as a cure here is a colorful and delicious salad! The lemon zest adds a sunny flavor and the colorful vegetables make for a more interesting lunch plate. Not to mention the added benefit of some serious protein power in this dish. Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Juice and zest from one lemon
- 1 tbsp Mexican Spice Blend
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt and additional to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Option garnish: avocado, shredded cheese
- Heat olive oil in a small pot. Toast quinoa for 2 minutes. Add water and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the quinoa has soaked up the water – about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile drain corn and beans and place in a large mixing bowl. Chop peppers and onion and add to bowl.
- Add cooked quinoa to bowl along with cilantro and lemon juice and zest. Mix thoroughly. Add seasonings and mix again.
- Serve! Add avocado as desired…
- …or add cheese desired!
Enjoy! What else did you add to this salad?