Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs with Sauce
Sometimes you need some good old judgement-free comfort food to get through the winter day. Or a gloomy day. Or a Tuesday. These meatballs are so much fun to make but you have to be willing to get your hands messy! Beef and sausage are combined for the meat and fresh mozzarella is rolled into the center for gooey cheesy goodness. Cook these up and store them in the freezer or gather round your friends for a dinner party!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (I use hot sausage to give the meatballs more flavor)
- 2 eggs
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 tbsp. basil, divided
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ball of mozzarella cheese
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- Put the ground beef, ground sausage squeezed out of the casings, 2 eggs, parsley, bread crumbs, 1/2 tbsp. Italian seasoning, 1/2 tbsp. basil, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder.
- Mix with your hands (so messy but so fun!) until thoroughly combined.
- Chop the mozzarella into 24 pieces. Pull out a meatball sized piece of the meat mixture. Flatten it in our hand and place the mozzarella piece in the middle. Then wrap the meatball around the cheese.
- Place the tomatoes, sauce, and paste in a large (and I mean LARGE) skillet and mix thoroughly.
- Place your meatballs in the sauces and gently cover with sauce.
- Add remaining Italian seasoning and basil and stir carefully. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook on medium heat for 40 minutes, stirring gently throughout to prevent burning on the bottom.
- Remove from heat and serve with your favorite pasta (my go to for meatballs is always spaghetti!).
Share the comforting joy – how do you enjoy these delicious cheesy meatballs?