Bean – Slaw
So coleslaw is a good side…but never really good for you! But we all need some summer sides for potlucks and grad parties. So here we go again trying to find a new side with some light stats! This coleslaw based salad is high in protein, high in crunch, high in color, and low in fat! Give it a kick with a dressing based in apple cider vinegar and you are good to go!
- 1 bag of dried coleslaw mix
- 1 onion
- 2 cups of frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the dry coleslaw mix, chopped onion and peppers, and thawed sweet corn.
- Add black beans and black-eyed peas.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, and garlic powder.
- Add to the large mixing bowl and toss with the salad to mix.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy! And may I suggest pairing it with my Pineapple-barbecue pulled pork? Check it out here: Pineapple-Barbecue Pulled Pork
Comment below what else you pair this with!