Summer Berry, Chicken, and Avocado Salad
Summertime and the living’s berry filled!
The produce was such great quality last week (not to mention on sale!) that I knew it was a week for salad for dinner. The deliciousness of the flavors combined with the ease of the recipe (not to mention a touch of homemade dressing) makes this a wonderfully light and filling dinner for those hot summer evenings when it’s just too warm to turn on the stove. Not to mention the fact that this is surprisingly cheap and expansive recipe for your budget. The awesomeness is added to by the homemade, delicious, (and much better for you than a store bought bottle!) raspberry vinaigrette.
Ingredients (yields five very hearty servings):
- 2 bunches of spinach, ends trimmed
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 avocados, chopped if serving immediately or saved until right before serving
- 32 oz. strawberries, diced
- 1 pound blueberries
- 2 cucumbers, diced into quarters
- 4 oz. feta cheese
- 12.5 tablespoons of raspberry vinaigrette total or 2.5 tablespoons per serving (see link in directions below for my own recipe!)
- Shred your rotisserie chicken. Look at all that beautiful chicken!
- Toss your chopped spinach into a large bowl, followed by chopped cucumber, shredded chicken, diced strawberries, and blueberries.
- If you are serving immediately, add chopped avocado. If you are making this salad to save and eat throughout the week (like I did!), save the avocado until just before serving and then add to your salad.
- Top with feta cheese. Again, if you are making this salad to save and eat throughout the week, add measured out serving of feta cheese just before serving.
- Toss with raspberry vinaigrette just before serving. See link here – Raspberry Vinaigrette
If you’re looking for a vegetarian option – this is still a delicious and filling salad without the chicken.
Enjoy! And let me know what changes you make to suit your taste buds