Three Bean Cucumber Salad
It’s that time of year! Grad parties and picnics and summer cook-outs galore! These all come with the same question – what should I bring??? There are always the staples to fall back on in a pinch – pasta salad, coleslaw, a fruit platter, etc. And these are all undoubtedly great things to have at any summer festivity. But I recently went to a friend’s cook-out. Now, I always end up bringing a variation of pasta salad but I heard someone else was already bringing one! That, combined with a wish to bring something a little different, led to try to create something a little more original. Enter the bean salad!
- 1 can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red onion
- 1 cucumber
- 4 oz. feta cheese
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- basil to taste
- salt to taste
- Combine your drained and rinsed beans in a large bowl.
- Chop your red onion into small pieces and chop your cucumber to desired size (I happen to be a quarters fan myself). Add to your bowl.
- . In a smaller bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Taste before adding any salt!
- Add to your salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least one hour (preferably two) before serving. Just before serving, add your feta cheese. Enjoy!
As with any recipe – it’s important to make it how you prefer it rather than just following someone else’s instructions. What changes do you make to the dressing? Is there a bean you think works better than the ones I’ve chosen? Let me know in the comments below!