Mushroom Bolognese Sauce
This superbly easy spaghetti sauce recipe is a great way to whip up some cheap dinners loaded with protein without skimping on the comfort food.
Ingredients (makes 8 servings):
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion – chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 8 ounces of white mushrooms – sliced
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 28 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tsp. oregano (or more to taste)
- 2 tsp. basil (or more to taste)
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Serving suggestion: grated Parmesan cheese, past of your choice
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a pot for one minute. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef and cook until browned throughout. Add diced tomatoes, sauce, and paste and bring to a boil. Reduce heat immediately and simmer over low heat for twenty minutes.
- While simmering add all seasonings and continue to stir. After 15 minutes, sample your sauce and adjust seasonings according to your personal taste if needed.
This recipe yields eight servings and freezes beautifully! I cook it up on a Sunday night and use it for a couple dinners and freeze the rest.
Sauce for days!!!
Serve it with your favorite pasta and add some grated cheese on top. Enjoy!